Task: This assignment will enable you to critically analyze the sexual health of a fictional character in popular culture – television, films or literature. Step 1: Select a fictional TV, movie, or li
This assignment will enable you to critically analyze the sexual health of a fictional character in popular culture – television, films or literature.
Select a fictional TV, movie, or literary character who will serve as a case study and analyze their sexual health, based on the criteria below.
Review the SIECUS guidelines for sexual health (below):
LIFE BEHAVIORS OF A SEXUALLY HEALTHY ADULT
A sexually healthy adult will:
In human development
- Appreciate his or her own body.
- Seek further information about reproduction as needed.
- Affirm that human development includes sexual development that may or may not include reproduction or genital sexual experience.
- Interact with both genders in respectful and appropriate ways.
- Affirm his or her own sexual orientation and respect the sexual orientation of others.
- View family as a valuable source of support.
- Express love and intimacy in appropriate ways.
- Develop and maintain meaningful relationships.
- Avoid exploitative or manipulative relationships.
- Make informed choices about family options and relationships.
- Exhibit skills that enhance personal relationships.
- Understand how cultural heritage affects ideas about family, interpersonal relationships, and ethics.
In personal skills
- Identify and live according to his or her values.
- Take responsibility for her or her own behavior.
- Practice effective decision-making.
- Communicate effectively with family, peers, and partners.
In sexual behavior
- Enjoy and express his or her sexuality throughout life.
- Express his or her sexuality in ways that are congruent with his or her values.
- Enjoy sexual feelings without necessarily acting on them.
- Discriminate between life-enhancing sexual behaviors and those that are harmful to self and/or others.
- Express his or her sexuality while respecting the rights of others.
- Seek new information to enhance his or her sexuality.
- Engage in sexual relationships that are consensual, non-exploitative, honest, pleasurable, and protected against disease and unintended pregnancy.
In sexual health
- Use contraception effectively to avoid unintended pregnancy.
- Prevent sexual abuse.
- Act consistent with his or her own values in dealing with an unintended pregnancy.
- Seek early prenatal care.
- Avoid contracting or transmitting an STD, including HIV.
- Practice health-promoting behaviors, such as regular check-ups, breast and testicular self-exam, and early identification of potential problems.
- In society and culture
- Demonstrate respect for people with different sexual values.
- Exercise democratic responsibility to influence legislation dealing with sexual issues.
- Assess the impact of family, cultural, religious, media, and societal messages on his or her thoughts, feelings, values, and behaviors related to sexuality.
- Promote the rights of all people to accurate sexuality information.
- Avoid behaviors that exhibit prejudice and bigotry.
- Reject stereotypes about the sexuality of diverse populations.
- Educate others about sexuality.
Source: SIECUS (2005). Guidelines for Comprehensive Sexuality Education: Kindergarten -12th Grade, 3rd Ed. New York, NY: SIECUS.
Step 3: For each one of the criteria from the SIECUS list determine whether or not the character displays that behavior and think of an example from the film, book, or television show that illustrates your determination regarding that criteria. You must discuss at least one aspect from each of the six categories on the SIECUS list.
Step 4: Review writing resources, write an outline, write a thesis statement, write an introduction, and integrate information via summarizing, paraphrasing, or, as necessary, directly quoting sources, all with proper attribution.
Write a 1,200 to 1,500 word paper (about 5 double-spaced pages), not including title and reference page which should be written in APA style.
Tip: Begin with a brief synopsis discussing the character or issues that arise in the book, film, or television show to give context to the reader. Next, integrate the criteria you have chosen and discuss how they are related.
Checklist of expectations
In order to be successful on this paper, be sure that you address all of the following:
__ Support your ideas with citations from your peer-reviewed resource(s)
__ Be sure that your ideas are put together in a coherent and logical way
__ Be creative in enhancing your topic
__ Write an introduction that previews your main points
__ Be sure the body of the paper develops and elaborates your ideas
__ Include a conclusion that summarizes your main points
__ Proofread carefully to ensure that your paper is free of misspellings and typos
__ Proofread carefully to ensure that your paper has proper sentence structure
__ Include a cover page, references and citations in APA style