In Chapter 13 on New Religious Movements (NRMs), you were introduced to a number of modern religions in terms of beliefs and practices. Highlight a specific belief or practice you encountered in one o
In Chapter 13 on New Religious Movements (NRMs), you were introduced to a number of modern religions in terms of beliefs and practices. Highlight a specific belief or practice you encountered in one of these Chapter 13 NRMs that surprised you (or that you just feel like exploring). Research beyond the textbook to find out more about it, providing your results in this post. Consider the following in your post:
– Title your initial post with the NRM name (or the specific belief/practice). Remember, the word “Discussion” should not appear in your title.- Briefly describe the religion and the belief or practice you are focusing on.- Discuss what drew you to want to explore this belief or practice in more detail.- Present the essence of the belief or the aspects of the practice under consideration.- Address whether this belief or practice is unique to this specific group or if it can be found within other religions, including those classified as major world religions.- Provide what you learned from this exploration.- Provide at least 2 research source citation in MLA format (see below).
Before writing on this topic, you should research the belief or practice you selected beyond the textbook. This is because you are required to do research in association with each of the discussion topics so that you can provide well-informed opinions. Ensure that you provide original writing (do not copy the words of your sources) and that the citations are in proper MLA (Modern Language Association) citation format: MLA Format.
Grading Parameters (30 points total): See: A Sample Discussion Post, Frequently Asked Questions, and the Discussion Grading Rubric.
- Initial Post (5 points) – Provide a new threaded post addressing all questions posed in at least 200 words by the posted deadline: Time Schedule.
- Research (5 points) – Consult at least 2 academic research sources related to the topic and provide a bibliography of these sources in MLA (Modern Language Association) citation format. This list should be within the initial post.
- Meaningful Participation (10 points) – Provide multiple meaningful conversations with others. Within your own thread, this means answering questions that are posed and/or providing clarification as needed. Within the threaded posts of at least one other person, provide a reply that fosters discussion. Maintain these conversations during the discussion time period as appropriate.
- Writing Skills (10 points) – Demonstrate original writing and academic writing.